As a Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN), you’re part of an elite group of nursing professionals who specialize in providing comfort and support to patients during their final days.
But before you can claim your place among the ranks of the CHPN, you’ll need to pass the highly esteemed certification exam. Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
If you’re feeling a little nervous about the test, a CHPN study guide can give you the confidence and preparation you need to ace it. Our six carefully curated courses will expose you to test questions and materials, giving you a head start and ensuring you’re fully equipped to tackle the exam.
Remember, the key to success is preparation. Studies show that those who take some form of test prep have a better chance of passing on the first attempt. And who doesn’t want to join the exclusive club of palli-PROs – those nurses who aced the CHPN exam on their very first try?
So, let’s dive in and get you on the path to certification success!
Top Rated Study Guides for the Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) Exam
Here are our top picks for the best CHPN review course out there for those who are preparing to take the exam:
#1 Mometrix CHPN Study Guide
Mometrix offers review courses for various exams, including nursing, medical, teaching, business, and IT. Mometrix also provides course materials for the Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse CHPN exam.
What sets Mometrix apart is its commitment to creating high-quality study materials designed to meet the needs of all types of learners. Mometrix stands out for its comprehensive and flexible course materials, which include practice tests, flashcards, study guides, and video lessons.
Experts in the field create their courses and study guides and are regularly updated to reflect exam changes. These materials are tailored to different learning styles and needs, making it easier for students to absorb and retain information.
CHPN Study Guide Features
- 360 flashcards for studying on the go
- 600+ practice questions allow for continual improvement
- 51 thorough lessons, and you can consistently review materials
- A structured study guide that covers a variety of food
Pros & Cons
- The course provides access to a team of experts who can answer questions and guide the study process
- The course covers all the key concepts and topics tested on the CHPN exam
- You can check off the content that you’re confident you’ve mastered
- Includes study materials that are beneficial for all types of learners
- Participants can access study materials on a desktop or a smartphone/tablet
Mometrix has helped thousands of students pass their exams and achieve their career goals.
With topics such as family care (loss, grief, care based on cultural understanding) and resources for extensive healthcare issues, there’s no shortage of specific information necessary for adequate preparation.
Mometrix offers more than one CHPN study guide that helps students get ready through detailed explanations of critical concepts covered on the test. They also offer a money-back guarantee after trying the program for one week if you don’t feel like it’s working out.
Study.com is an online learning platform offering over 25,000 courses across various subjects, including healthcare, business, education, and technology.
The CHPN review course is designed to be self-paced and accessible from any device, with features such as personalized study plans, progress tracking, and 24/7 access to expert instructors and customer support.
In addition to test preparation courses like the CHPN review course, Study.com also offers courses for college credit, professional development, and career advancement, making it a versatile and accessible resource for lifelong learning.
- Over 200 video lessons covering key concepts and topics related to the CHPN exam
- Transcripts of each lesson to help reinforce learning
- Mobile app for on-the-go studying
- Access to expert instructors with experience in end-of-life care
Pros & Cons
- Money-back guarantee
- 24/7 customer support
- Flexibility to study at your own pace and on your schedule
- Affordable pricing compared to other CHPN review course options
- Self-assessment quizzes to test knowledge and track progress
- A few reviewers have reported difficulty getting a response from customer support when encountering issues with the course
- Some have reported technical issues with the course, such as difficulty accessing certain features or videos not loading correctly
Students can access video lessons, transcripts, and self-assessment quizzes to reinforce learning and track progress.
The CHPN review course includes personalized study plans and a mobile app for on-the-go studying.
Study.com’s CHPN review course has over 200 lessons covering key concepts and topics, including pain management, patient assessment, and end-of-life care.
#3 Nurse.com CHPN Study Guide
Nurse.com is a leading provider of continuing education and certification review courses for healthcare professionals. Their Hospice and Palliative Nursing Certification Review Course is designed to help nurses prepare for the CHPN exam and advance their careers in hospice and palliative care.
What sets Nurse.com apart is its focus on providing high-quality, evidence-based education that is both accessible and engaging.
In addition to its CHPN review course, Nurse.com offers a wide range of continuing education courses and resources for nurses, including live webinars, online courses, and self-paced study options.
With over 30 years of experience in nursing education, Nurse.com is a trusted source for nurses who want to enhance their knowledge, skills, and career opportunities.
- Interactive online format with over 20 hours of video lectures
- Printable CHPN practice exams and other resources
- 15 in-depth modules on topics covered on the CHPN exam
- Direct access to instructors with knowledge of the content outline covered on the certification exam
Pros & Cons
- Access to a team of experienced nurse educators for guidance and support
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) available upon completion of the course
- A thorough review of hospice and palliative care nursing concepts and topics
- Access to archived lectures for future reference and review
- Money-back guarantee for those who do not pass the CHPN exam after completing the course
- The course fee may be a barrier for some learners on a tight budget
With detailed classes covering pain management and pharmacology, the progression of health deterioration, and more, you can rest assured that you’ll get premium content access.
With comprehensive coverage of 15 key concepts and topics and personalized study plans, the course provides live and online review content and the skills needed to pass the CHPN exam confidently.
Springer Publishing Company is a well-known publisher of healthcare and nursing books. The company offers test prep courses for various healthcare-related exams, including materials related to hospice and palliative care.
In addition to their publishing services, they offer a CHPN review course designed to help nurses prepare for the certification exam.
The online course includes various study materials, including practice questions and quizzes.
Springer’s CHPN review course is unique in that it is authored by hospice and palliative care experts, ensuring that students receive the most up-to-date and accurate information. Additionally, the course is self-paced, allowing students to study at their speed and on their own schedule.
- Expert-authored content that is up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in hospice and palliative care
- Detailed explanations and rationales for each practice question, helping students understand why each answer is correct or incorrect
- The CHPN study guide provides information about communication, family-centered care, and high-level skills such as drug and dosage conversion and infusion therapy
- Access to additional resources, such as webinars and articles
Pros & Cons
- Access to additional resources, such as webinars and articles, to supplement and enhance the learning experience
- A user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate and use
- The ability to track progress and identify areas of strength and weakness
- A customizable CHPN study guide that helps students focus on the topics where they need the most improvement
- A money-back guarantee if students do not pass the CHPN exam after completing the course
- Some students have found the course quite lengthy, with a lot of content to cover, making it challenging to complete quickly
- A few reviewers have reported that some of the information presented in the course is repetitive and could have been condensed
It includes more than 300 carefully selected practice questions with detailed explanations, tips, and strategies to help students master the exam. The guide also covers all aspects of hospice and palliative care nursing, including physical, spiritual, and psychosocial care.
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA) offers a certification review course for the Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) exam. HPNA is a professional nursing organization that advances expert care in serious illnesses.
Their CHPN review course is designed to help nurses prepare for the certification exam by providing a comprehensive review of hospice and palliative care nursing practices, including pain and symptom management, communication, life-limiting conditions knowledge, psychosocial and spiritual care, and more.
The organization is known for its commitment to advancing the field of hospice and palliative care nursing and promoting high-quality, compassionate care for patients and families in challenging health situations.
- The organization offers three-course types
- The interactive CHPN review course features six modules with knowledge checks and case studies
- The live virtual review online course is led by an expert instructor that helps process strengths and weaknesses while covering topics from the content handbook for the exam
- The practice exam has 48 questions and explains why each answer is correct or incorrect
Pros & Cons
- Versatile options for preparing for the exam, which is better for a variety of learning styles
- The material is up-to-date and interactive, depending on your chosen course
- The HPNA is a reputable organization for proofing in-depth study materials to prepare for the exam
- You can receive CEU credits for two of the available course reviews
- Some CHPN review course options are expensive, with limited material available
- Not all courses are eligible to receive CEU credits
- This organization doesn’t offer a money-back guarantee
In addition to the review courses, HPNA also offers a variety of educational resources and events for nurses seeking to improve their advocacy, knowledge, and skills in hospice and palliative care nursing.
The live online CHPN prep course, in particular, also includes ongoing support from instructors and the HPNA team to ensure learners have everything they need to succeed.
Just be sure to review the check-in process for the virtual events. Participants may also take advantage of discounts if they’re HPNA members. However, non-members will have to pay slightly more.
General Information About CHPN Certification
The Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) certification is a credential for nurses specializing in hospice and palliative care. It is designed to recognize the knowledge, skills, and expertise of nurses who care for patients and families facing serious illness and end-of-life care.
The CHPN certification is awarded by the Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center (HPCC), a division of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO).
To be eligible for the CHPN certification, nurses must have an active RN license and at least 500 hours of hospice and palliative care nursing practice in the most recent 12 months or 1,000 hours in the most recent 24 months.
Nurses must also have completed ten continuing education hours related to hospice and palliative care in the past 12 months.
The exam is offered year-round at testing centers across the United States.
Passing the CHPN test demonstrates a nurse’s expertise in hospice and palliative care nursing and can help to enhance their professional reputation and advance their career.
Nurses who obtain the CHPN certification are recognized for their commitment to providing high-quality care to patients and families facing serious illness and end-of-life care.
Passing the Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) exam is a significant milestone for nurses seeking to specialize in hospice and palliative care. To increase their chances of success, nurses may benefit from enrolling in a CHPN review course.
While all of these courses have unique strengths, nurses must select a course that aligns with their learning style and individual needs.
Whichever course nurses choose, they should expect to gain a deeper understanding of hospice and palliative care nursing practice and be well-equipped to pass the CHPN exam.
Based on the money-back guarantee offered by Mometrix, the extensive variety of study materials offered, and how budget-friendly the CHPN review course is, we have selected this company as the best provider.
They offer materials for all learning styles, and it’s accessible on the go, which we believe makes it suitable for all candidates.
Here are the responses to commonly asked CHPN review course offerings questions.
The CHPN exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions covering various topics. Some examples include hospice and palliative care, pain management, symptom control, communication, psychosocial and spiritual care, and care of the dying patient and family.
On average, a CHPN course takes a few weeks to a few months to complete. Selecting a course that fits your schedule and allows you enough time to review and practice the material before taking the CHPN exam is crucial.
The test is graded on a scale of 0 to 99; a minimum score of 75 is necessary to pass the exam. Candidates may take the test more than once to achieve the desired score.