There’s nothing good about cancer— it’s a debilitating disease that has torn countless families apart. But the good news is that we’re getting very good at fighting back, thanks to billions of dollars raised for research and awareness. Now, it’s a lot easier to recover from many forms of cancer with the help of oncologists, as well as the nurses who assist them every day.
If you’re interested in being part of the fight against cancer, becoming an Oncology Certified Nurse is the logical course of action. This is a field of healthcare that requires a lot of highly technical knowledge and a very specialized skill set, which is why I recommend that you look for a good OCN study guide to prepare for this career path.
Check out our favorite picks below to start preparing today!
Mometrix University Oncology Certified Nurse Study Guide (Rank #1)
Out of all the companies providing educational materials for future members of the healthcare industry, Mometrix is far and away the best. They have the perfect collection of web-based study materials to help pretty much anyone understand the important information to excel in their career as an oncology nurse.
Mometrix OCN Prep Course Features
- 650+ practice questions
- 20+ video lessons
- 500+ flash cards
- 80 text lessons
- 7-day money back guarantee
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Flash Cards: In addition to video lectures, text passages, and several hundred practice questions, Mometrix University includes over 500 digital flash cards as part of their OCN review course. These cards can help you remember terms, medications, and other important concepts that will come up often on your exam and in the field.
- Pro – 7-Day Trial: Thanks to their 7-day money back guarantee, you can change your mind for any reason during the first week of enrollment and receive a full refund. This means the only thing you have to lose is a week of your time— no monetary commitment is required if you’re curious about sampling this course.
- Pro – Focused Curriculum: There are some courses that offer a larger volume of practice questions and video lectures, but Mometrix offers just enough study material to get the point across without wasting your time. Studying for too long can actually have a negative effect on your exam performance, so it’s best to have a clear end date like this.
The Bottom Line: Mometrix is the most popular choice for nursing students, and for good reason— they’re the perfect resource for high-quality study materials that don’t require you to change out of your pajamas in order to get started!
TAKE ME TO MOMETRIX UNIVERSITY
Flash Sale- Save 25% on Mometrix Test Prep
Nurse.com OCN Prep Course (Rank #2)
If you’re inexperienced in nursing, Nurse.com offers several excellent beginner-friendly courses on oncology and other subjects. However, they also have an appealing collection of continuing education courses that are ideal if you’re already somewhat experienced in the healthcare field.
- 11 included online courses
- Blended study combines live content with self study
- Collaborative opportunities with fellow students
- 12 contact hours
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Blended Instruction: Nurse.com uses a combination of self-study and live online education methods to provide a highly effective learning experience. You can work through a substantial textbook as you complete online courses with other students.
- Pro – Networking Opportunities: Speaking of other students, Nurse.com encourages you to collaborate with other enrolled nurses when completing their courses. Not only can this help you learn through social interaction, but it opens up some networking opportunities as well.
- Con – Flash Cards: With so many great features going for it, there is one feature suspiciously absent that could vastly improve students’ experience with Nurse.com. Flash cards are popular for their ability to help you memorize concepts and terms, and this course is sorely missing anything to fill that role in their OCN catalog.
The Bottom Line: Whether you’re a beginner or have some nursing experience, Nurse.com has a great collection of oncology-related learning materials that can help you pass your OCN exam and land a great job!
Oncology Nursing Society OCN Training Course (Rank #3)
Leave it to the Oncology Nursing Society to provide one of the best online resources for oncology education. This service comes with a generous access period and guarantee, so you shouldn’t feel stressed when working through these study materials.
- 4 on-demand courses with 40 contact hours
- 1 practice test
- 9 month access period
- 30-day money back guarantee
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Varied Curriculum: The on-demand courses included with ONS are well-rounded and offer practical knowledge that directly applies to your future career. Instead of just “teaching for the test,” this company really makes an effort to ensure you know how to actually work as an oncology nurse.
- Pro – Refund Policy: If you’re not sure whether this course is a good fit for your nursing education, you can request a full refund within 30 days of your initial purchase. When compared to the seven day return policy offered by Mometrix, this is a much longer and more reasonable grace period.
- Con – Practice Test: Unfortunately, ONS only provides one full practice exam with their course bundle. Instead, most of the course is made up of guided instruction— this can be helpful for understanding the exam concepts, but the lack of realistic practice tests can have a negative effect on your results.
The Bottom Line: This is a great choice if you struggle with pre-exam anxiety and don’t like feeling rushed when studying. Otherwise, there are some better courses for the price— such as Mometrix University.
JER OCN Study Guides (Rank #4)
There’s not much here to differentiate JER Online from the other courses on this list. However, they offer a decent collection of practice questions, tests, and audio content that are more than adequate to prepare you for the OCN exam.
JER Online Features
- 500+ practice questions
- 3 practice tests
- Audio study mode
- 30 contact hours
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Contact Hours: If you’re looking for educational contact hours to meet a requirement for a nursing position, JER Online offers several hours more than many of the other courses on this list.
- Pro – Audio Mode: All of the lessons included with JER Online come with the option to switch to audio-only study mode. This is convenient if you like to get some studying in while doing chores around the house or exercising at the gym, and it’s surprisingly difficult to find online courses that accommodate this form of teaching.
- Con – Practice Questions: Although the more than 500 practice questions JER Online includes should be enough for some students to fully prepare for the test, there are some online courses that offer a larger question bank.
The Bottom Line: Consider enrolling in JER Online if you want a study course that has a lot of audio content and/or contact hours. Otherwise, you don’t have to look far for more substantial collections of practice questions and videos.
Med Ed OCN Certification Course (Rank #5)
If you’re currently employed, Med Ed is a great way to learn the necessary skills to move up in your career. They also offer an accelerated schedule that saves you a lot of time while preparing you for the OCN exam.
Med Ed Features
- 2-day live seminar
- 14 contact hours and 4 pharmacology hours
- Focus on identifying knowledge gaps
- Multiple test-taking strategies covered
Pros and Cons
- Pro – In-Person: Unlike many of the courses listed here, Med Ed brings the education to you and offers in-person instruction. This way, you can learn face-to-face with an instructor and ask all the questions you need in order to fully prepare for the exam.
- Pro – Fast-Paced: If you want to prepare for your oncology nursing exam quickly, Med Ed is one of the fastest ways to do so. Their course is only two days long, but it covers everything you need to know in order to crush the OCN exam!
- Con – Not Introductory: Unfortunately, Med Ed’s oncology course isn’t intended as an introduction to the subject— so it may not help all students adequately prepare for their exams. Instead, this is a better fit if you’re already somewhat knowledgeable in the subject and want some extra info before your next exam date.
The Bottom Line: I recommend speaking to your employer if you’re interested in Med Ed. If you’re not currently employed as a nurse, however, you should stick to one of the online options listed here like Mometrix University.
ExamEdge Oncology Certified Nursing Review Course (Rank #6)
Don’t be fooled by the rankings— ExamEdge is still very much worth your consideration when preparing for the OCN exam. If you’re looking for a lot of practice without spending a lot of money, this is by far one of the best options currently available.
- 1,000 practice questions
- Up to 10 practice exams
- 4 retakes per exam
- 100% pass guarantee
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Budget Friendly: If you don’t have a lot of money to spend on your exam prep, ExamEdge is very affordable. You can choose to pay for a handful of practice tests at a fraction of the cost— although their full library is very affordable as well.
- Pro – Guaranteed to Pass: Under ExamEdge’s 100% Pass Guarantee, you’ll be entitled to a refund if you’re unable to pass your exam after using this course to study. That’s not likely to be a concern since most students who use these tests do well on the OCN exam!
- Con – Supplementary Materials: Unfortunately, ExamEdge only provides practice tests and no other study tools. This means you’ll have to look elsewhere if you want to study with video lectures, flashcards, or live classes.
The Bottom Line: As a supplement to another course that doesn’t have a lot of practice exams, ExamEdge is highly recommended. However, there are several courses that are priced in the same range with more features and content, so you may prefer these over this course.